You can configure each community site's left navigation with links and headings that highlight the community's resources. These left navigation links stay the same no matter where you go within the community site, making them valuable guideposts.
Start from the community whose left navigation you want to edit, click the settings cog and then click Site Settings. From here, the directions vary based on your version of SharePoint.
In SharePoint Foundations
- Under the Look and Feel header, select Quick launch.
- To add a link or header to the left navigation, use the New Navigation Link or New Heading buttons, respectively.
- To reorganize links and headings, use the Change Order button.
- To edit a link or heading, click the paper and pencil icon to its left.
In SharePoint Standard or Enterprise
- Under the Look and Feel header, select Navigation.
- Scroll down to the Structural Navigation: Editing and Sorting section. To add a header or link to the left navigation, use the Add Heading... and Add Link... buttons, respectively.
- To reorganize links and headings, use the Move Up and Move Down buttons.
- To edit a link or heading, select the link or heading you want to edit and then click the Edit… button at the top of the section.
Use Relative URLs
Remember to use relative URLs when adding links to resources on Synthesis. That is, omit "http://sitename" and begin your URL with a forward slash and the name of the community site. (Example: /people/pages/LEEDProjects.aspx.)
If you ever change your Intranet’s name, all the relative URLs will automatically update, while any full URLs would have to be changed manually.